WINDOWS 2003 SERVER (2K3)
- MINUMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
- CPU: Intel Pentium/Celeron 133MHz (550MHz recommended)
- RAM: 128MB (256MB recommended)
- HARD DRIVE SPACE: 1.25GB (2GB network install)
- Released, 04/24/2003.
- Successer to Windows NT 2000 Server.
- Available in Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter Versions.
- Changes to MS-DOS Commands
- CHCP Changes code pages for all Command Prompt windows.
- DISKCOMP Command-line options /1 and /8 are not supported.
- DISKCOPY Command-line option /1 is not supported.
- DISKPERF No longer needed to act upon a server computer. You can still use diskperf for remote administration.
- DOSKEY Available for all character-based programs that accept buffered input. Doskey has been improved by a series of enhancements.
- FORMAT Supports 1.44 MB floppy drive only. 20.8 MB floptical (magneto-optical) drive is no longer supported. Command-line options /B, /S, /U, /1, /4, and /8 are no longer supported.
- LABEL The caret (^) and ampersand (&) symbols can be used in a volume label.
- MODE The mode LPTn[:][COLS=c][LINES=l] and mode LPTn[:][c][,[l]] syntaxes are no longer supported.
- PRINT Command-line options /B:size, /C, /M:ticks2, /P, /Q:qsize, /S:ticks3, /T, and /U:ticks1 are not supported.
- PROMPT New character combinations enable you to add ampersands ($a), parentheses ($c and $f), and spaces ($s) to your prompt.
- RECOVER Recovers files only.
- RMDIR New /S command-line option deletes directories containing files and subdirectories.
- SORT Does not require %TEMP% environment variable. File size is unlimited.
- XCOPY New /G command-line option creates decrypted destination files.
- Unavailable MS-DOS Commands
- APPEND Enables programs to open data files in specified folders as if these files were in the current folder.
- ASSIGN Not supported.
- BACKUP Not supported.
- CHOICE Not supported.
- CTTY Not supported.
- DBLSPACE Not supported.
- DEBUG Starts Debug.exe, a program that you can use to test and debug MS-DOS executable files.
- DELTREE The RMDIR /S command deletes directories containing files and subdirectories.
- DOSSHELL Function is now inherent.
- DRVSPACE Not supported.
- EDIT Starts MS-DOS Editor, which creates and changes ASCII text files.
- EDLIN Starts Edlin.exe, a line-oriented text editor with which you can create and change ASCII files.
- EMM386 Function is now inherent.
- EXE2BIN Converts .exe (executable files) to binary format.
- EXPAND Expands one or more compressed files.
- FASTHELP Not supported. Use the HELP command at the command prompt. For a complete list of command-line tools, see Command-line reference A-Z.
- FASTOPEN Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family of products do not use this command. It is included only to preserve compatibility with existing MS-DOS files, but it has no effect at the command line because the functionality is automatic.
- FDISK Not supported. Use the DISKPART command, which enables you to manage disks, partitions, or volumes.
- FORCEDOS Starts the specified program in the MS-DOS subsystem. This command is necessary only for those MS-DOS programs that are not recognized as MS-DOS programs by the Windows Server 2003 family.
- GRAPHICS Loads a program into memory that allows you to print on a printer the displayed contents of the screen when you are using a color or graphics adapter.
- INCLUDE Multiple configurations of the MS-DOS subsystem are not supported.
- INTERLNK Not supported.
- INTERSVR Not supported.
- JOIN Increased partition size and an improved file system eliminate the need to join drives.
- LOADFIX Ensures that a program is loaded above the first 64KB of conventional memory, and then runs the program.
- LOADHIGH (lh) Loads a program into the upper memory area (UMA). Loading a program into the UMA leaves more room in conventional memory for other programs.
- MEM Displays information about allocated memory areas, free memory areas, and programs that are currently loaded into memory in the MS-DOS subsystem.
- MEMMAKER MS-DOS subsystem memory usage is automatically optimized.
- MENUCOLOR Multiple configurations of the MS-DOS subsystem are not supported.
- MENUDEFAULT Multiple configurations of the MS-DOS subsystem are not supported.
- MENUITEM Multiple configurations of the MS-DOS subsystem are not supported.
- MIRROR Not supported.
- MSAV Not supported.
- MSBACKUP Use the NTBACKUP command for computers with tape drives, or the xcopy command for computers without tape drives. For more information about the ntbackup command, see Ntbackup. For more information about the xcopy command, see Xcopy.
- MSCDEX It is unnecessary to configure the MS-DOS subsystem to use CD-ROM drives. The Windows Server 2003 family provides access to CD-ROM drives for the MS-DOS subsystem.
- MSD Use the System Information snap-in. To start System Information, click Start, click Run, and then type MSINFO32.
- NLSFUNC Loads information specific to country/region. Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family of products do not use this command. It is included only to preserve compatibility with existing MS-DOS files, but it has no effect at the command line because the functionality is automatic.
- NUMLOCK Not supported.
- POWER Not supported.
- RESTORE Not supported.
- SCANDISK Not supported. Use the CHKDSK command, which enables you to create and display a status report for a disk based on the file system. CHKDSK also lists and corrects errors on the disk.
- SETVER Sets the MS-DOS version number that the MS-DOS subsystem reports to a program.
- SHARE Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family of products do not use this command. It is included only to preserve compatibility with existing MS-DOS files, but it has no effect at the command line because the functionality is automatic.
- SMARTDRV Caching for the MS-DOS subsystem is automatic.
- SUBMENU Multiple configurations of the MS-DOS subsystem are not supported.
- SYS Windows Server 2003 family operating systems will not fit on a standard 1.2 MB or 1.44 MB floppy disk.
- UNDELETE Not supported.
- UNFORMAT Not supported.
- VSAFE Not supported.